Sautéed onions add a note of sweetness to this classic Italian dish, while peas provide a pop of colour and nutrients.
Makes: 6 servings
Total time: 30 minutes
6 slices bacon, chopped
1 box (500 grams) spaghetti
½ sweet onion, chopped
3 large eggs
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper, plus more to taste
1 cup frozen peas
3⁄4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
– Bring a large pot of water to the boil over high heat.
– While waiting for the water to boil, heat a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the
bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until crisp. Remove to a plate lined with a paper towel. Set aside.
– Meanwhile, when the water boils, salt it and add the spaghetti. Cook according to the package directions.
-Return the pan to the stove over medium heat (if there is more than 1 tablespoon bacon fat in the pan, drain it). Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes or until the onion is softened.
– In a bowl, beat the eggs with a fork. Season with the salt and pepper.
– Two minutes before the spaghetti is done, add the peas. Reserving ½ cup of the cooking water, drain the spaghetti and peas in a colander and return to the still-hot pot. Immediately add the eggs, reserved cooking water, and onions. Toss well to coat the spaghetti (the residual heat will cook the eggs). – Sprinkle with the Parmesan, bacon, and parsley, and toss well again.
NUTRITION PER SERVING
1 853 Kilojoules