One treadmill and a television screen.
Use the TV to time your “pick-ups” (sustained intervals in which you pick up the pace), suggests Budd Coates, a four-time qualifier for the US Olympic Marathon trials and special contributor to Runner’s World magazine.
- Say you’re watching a rugby game. Whenever the clock stops, bump up your pace to about 80 percent effort.
- When the game’s in progress, dial down to a jog.
- It works with any sport or any TV show.
- On MTV, jog with the presenter and adverts; run hard during the songs.
- Or, when Homer gets unruly in the Simpsons, pick up the pace; when he’s being civil, jog.