THESE TERMS AND CONDITION ARE BINDING AND ENFORCEABLE AGAINST ALL PERSONS (USERS) THAT ACCESS THE RUNNERS WORLD WEB SITE OR ANY PART THEREOF (THE RUNNERS WORLD WEB SITE) IN TERMS OF SECTION 11 OF THE ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATIONS AND TRANSACTIONS (ECT) ACT 25 OF 2002.
IF YOU (THE USER) DO NOT AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS, THE USER MUST LEAVE THE RUNNERS WORLD WEB SITE NOW, AS FURTHER USE WILL AUTOMATICALLY BOUND THE USER TO THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS.
A COPY OF THE ECT ACT MAY BE DOWNLOADED FROM:
DEFINITIONS AND INTERPRETATION
- a. References herein to the RUNNERS WORLD web site or content shall include any part thereof;
- b. References herein to User(s) means any person who access the RUNNERS WORLD web site, notwithstanding the fact that such a person only visited the home page of the RUNNERS WORLD web site;
- c. References herein to the singular includes the plural and vice versa; and
- d. Notwithstanding the fact that hyperlinks in these terms and conditions to copyright notices and legislation should be deemed part of these terms and conditions in terms of section 11 of the ECT Act, the fact that some or all of the hyperlinks may be non-operational, shall not play a role in the validity and interpretation of these terms and conditions.
1.1 RUNNERS WORLD is the South African edition of the World’s Leading Running Magazine, aimed at motivating and inspiring readers to live an active life through running.
2(A). ALLOWED USE AND LICENSE
- 2.1. RUNNERS WORLD licenses the User to view, copy, download and print the content of the RUNNERS WORLD web site, provided that:
- 2.1.1 such content is used for personal, educational and/or non-commercial purposes only; and
- 2.1.2 any reproduction of content from the RUNNERS WORLD web site includes the following copyright notice: © RUNNERS WORLD 2014. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
- 2.2 Content from the RUNNERS WORLD web site shall not be used or exploited for any commercial and non-private purposes without the prior written consent of RUNNERS WORLD.
- 2.3 Users may only access and use the RUNNERS WORLD web site for legal purposes.
- 2.4 Use of content from the RUNNERS WORLD web site in electronic clipping services or personalised news services shall only be allowed if such electronic clipping service or personalised news service:
- 2.4.1 does not copy or provide the whole article, as it appears on the RUNNERS WORLD web site, but only provide a short summary of the contents of the article;
- 2.4.2 acknowledges RUNNERS WORLD as the source of the content;
- 2.4.3 provides a correct and working hyperlink to the source of the content or article on the RUNNERS WORLD web site;
- 2.4.4 acknowledges writers, journalists, photographers and third party agencies as they are acknowledged on the RUNNERS WORLD web site; and
- 2.4.5 includes the date upon which the content was sourced from the RUNNERS WORLD web site in the summary of the content.
- 2.5 The caching of the RUNNERS WORLD web site shall only be allowed if :
- 2.5.1 The purpose of the caching is to make the onward transmission of the content from the RUNNERS WORLD web site more efficient;
- 2.5.2 The cached content is not modified in any manner whatsoever;
- 2.5.3 The cached content is updated at least every 12 (twelve) hours; and
- 2.5.4 The cached content is removed or updated when so required by RUNNERS WORLD.
- 2.6 If any person uses content from the RUNNERS WORLD web site in breach of the provisions detailed herein:
- 2.6.1 RUNNERS WORLD reserves the right to claim damages from such person; and
- 2.6.2 RUNNERS WORLD shall not be liable, in any manner whatsoever, for any damage, loss or liability that resulted from the use of such content by such person or any third party.
- 2.7 Hyperlinks to the RUNNERS WORLD web site from any other source shall be directed at the home page of the RUNNERS WORLD web site. RUNNERS WORLD shall not be liable, in any manner whatsoever, for any damage, loss or liability that resulted from the use of content from the RUNNERS WORLD web site, if such content was accessed through a hyperlink not directed at the home page of the RUNNERS WORLD web site. Persons that wish to link to content beyond the home page of the RUNNERS WORLD web site shall do so at their own risk and undertake to indemnify RUNNERS WORLD against any loss, liability or damage that may result from content on the RUNNERS WORLD web site, if such content was accessed through a hyperlink not directed at the home page of the RUNNERS WORLD web site. RUNNERS WORLD’s non-liability for deep linking is based on the fact that deep links bypass these terms and conditions.
- 2.8 Users may quote small and reasonable amounts of content available from the RUNNERS WORLD web site only if such quote is placed in inverted commas, the author is acknowledged and a hyperlink to the quoted content is provided as a footnote to such quote.
- 2.9 No person may frame the RUNNERS WORLD web site, in any manner, without the prior written consent of RUNNERS WORLD.
- 2.10 Apart from bona-fide search engine operators and use of the search facility provided on the RUNNERS WORLD web site by Users, no person may use or attempt to use any technology or applications (including web crawlers or web spiders) to search or copy content from the RUNNERS WORLD web site for any purposes, without the prior written consent of RUNNERS WORLD.
- 2.11 All licenses and/or permissions granted in terms of this clause 2 are provided on a non-exclusive and non-transferable basis and may be terminated or cancelled by RUNNERS WORLD at any time without giving reasons therefore.
2(B). COMPETITION TERMS AND CONDITIONS
All competitions are conducted in accordance with the provisions of section 54 of the Lotteries Amendment Act, 2001, as amended.
By entering into any Media24 competition, entrants agree to the rules set out below.
- Competition are Not open to the following people:
- The directors, members, partners, agents, advertisers, employees or consultants of Media24, or any associated partner of the company
- The spouse, life partner, parent, child, brother, sister, business partner or associate of any of the persons specified in a) above; and
- Anyone outside South Africa (unless otherwise stated)
- Prizes are not transferable and cannot be deferred or exchanged for cash.
- The competition draw will take place on the date as stipulated on the related competition page.
- Prizes will only be issued after the close of the competition.
- Winners may be required to appear in the magazine and website, or on television or radio, for which no fee will be payable.
- Entrants enter into the competition, and use prizes won, at their own risk. Media24 and / or any of its partners / advertisers cannot be held responsible for any accident, injury, harm or loss as a result of entry into the competition or use of a prize.
- Winners will be notified by email and/or telephone.
- Media24 reserve the right to cancel the competition without notice at any time, if deemed necessary in their opinion, or if circumstances arise outside of their control. In the event of such cancellation, all participants agree to waive any rights that they may have in terms of this competition and acknowledge that they have no recourse against Media24, their employees, agents, partners, sponsors or promoters.
- The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- No person may enter any competition within 90 days of winning.
- For competitions with prizes over the value of R5 000, only one fully completed entry per person will go into the draw
- Media24 will endeavour to contact prize winners for seven days following their names having been drawn. If, however, that person cannot be reached, the prize will be forfeited and another winner selected. Please ensure that you provide the correct details.
- You will only be eligible to win once every three months in any competition run through Media24. A person winning a prize including international travel must be in possession of a valid passport.
Entries via SMS and Online:
SMS: All SMS entries are premium rated. Individuals may enter as many times as they wish via SMS. (Unless otherwise specifically stated)
Online: Only ONE entry will be accepted per person (unless otherwise specifically stated).
NOTE: Where SMS competition entries count as votes, people may still enter as many times as they wish and while all SMS’s will be recorded as entries into the draw for the prize, only ONE vote per person will be counted. So ten SMS’s will count as ten entries into the competition, but only as one vote for that specific person / thing.
3. INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS AND DOMAIN NAME USE
- 3.1 All intellectual property on the RUNNERS WORLD web site, including but not limited to content, design elements, software, databases, text, graphics, icons and hyperlinks are the property of or licensed to RUNNERS WORLD and as such, are protected from infringement by domestic and international legislation and treaties. Subject to the rights licensed in clause 2, all other rights to intellectual property on the RUNNERS WORLD web site are expressly reserved.
- 3.2 “RUNNERS WORLD” is a registered trademark and Users agree not to use the RUNNERS WORLD trademark or the “24” mark as an element of a domain name or sub domain name, notwithstanding the fact that such domain name use or registration may be allowed in terms of trademark and/or constitutional law. Upon request to do so a User shall immediately cease to use such domain name and transfer it to Media24 Ltd at the cost of the User.
4. SOFTWARE AND EQUIPMENT
- It is the responsibility of the User to acquire and maintain, at his/her own expense, the computer hardware, software, lines and account to access the Internet and the RUNNERS WORLD web site.
5. DISCLOSURES REQUIRED BY SECTION 43 OF THE ECT ACT
- Access to the services and content available from the RUNNERS WORLD web site is classified as “electronic transactions” in terms of the ECT Act and therefor Users have the rights detailed in Chapter 7 of the Act and RUNNERS WORLD has the duty to disclose the following information:
- 5.1 The full name and legal status of the web site owner: RUNNERS WORLD, a division of Media24 Ltd, Reg. No. 1950/038385/06;
- 5.2 Street address: 4 Adderley Street, Absa Centre, Cape Town, 8000;
- 5.3 Postal address: PO Box 1802, Cape Town, 8000;
- 5.4 The web site addresses of the RUNNERS WORLD web site is: www.RUNNERS WORLD.co.za;
- 5.5 Membership of self-regulatory or accreditation bodies: RUNNERS WORLD is a member of the Online Publishers Association (OPA) and subscribes to the standards as set out by Advertising Standards Authority;
- 5.6 Codes of conduct to which the RUNNERS WORLD web site subscribes: RUNNERS WORLD’s editorial policy is aligned to practises of the constitution of the Republic of South Africa;
- 5.7 The Manual published in terms of section 51 of the Promotion of Access to Information Act 2 of 2000 of the owner of the RUNNERS WORLD web site may be downloaded from:
- 5.8 Management: The identities and contact details of the RUNNERS WORLD management team are available from:
- 5.9 Management information of Media24 Ltd is available from:
- 5.10 Costs: Access to content on the RUNNERS WORLD web site is free to any person who subscribes to these terms and conditions. Access to some pages on the RUNNERS WORLD web site may be restricted to persons who registered through the “Sign me in” function and/or persons who are subscribers to the forum. Notwithstanding the a foregoing, RUNNERS WORLD may, in future, charge fees for access to the RUNNERS WORLD web site;
- 5.11 Alternative dispute resolution: Subject to urgent and/or interim relief, all disputes regarding:
- 5.11.1 access to the RUNNERS WORLD web site;
- 5.11.2 the inability to access the RUNNERS WORLD web site;
- 5.11.3 the services and content available from the RUNNERS WORLD web site; or
- 5.11.4 these terms and conditions,
- shall be referred to arbitration in terms of the expedited rules of the Arbitration Foundation of South Africa and such arbitration proceedings shall be conducted in Cape Town in English. The arbitration ruling shall be final and the unsuccessful party shall pay the costs of the successful party on a scale as between attorney and own client. The expedited rules of the Arbitration Foundation of South Africa may be downloaded from the following web site:
- 5.12 Cooling-off period: As far as practically possible, Users have the right to return services provided from the RUNNERS WORLD web site within 7 (seven) days if such goods or services are not listed in section 42 of the ECT Act; and
- 5.13 User may lodge complaints concerning the RUNNERS WORLD web site with RUNNERS WORLD, Media24 Ltd, the Advertising Standards Authority or the Consumer Affairs Committee.
6. CHANGES AND AMENDMENTS
- RUNNERS WORLD expressly reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, to do any of the following, at any time without prior notice:
- 6.1 change these terms and conditions;
- 6.2 change the content and/or services available from the RUNNERS WORLD web site;
- 6.3 discontinue any aspect of the RUNNERS WORLD web site or service(s) available from the RUNNERS WORLD web site; and/or
- 6.4 change the software and hardware required to access and use the RUNNERS WORLD web site.
- 7.1RUNNERS WORLD shall take all reasonable steps to protect the personal information of Users. For the purpose of this clause, “personal information” shall be defined as detailed in the Promotion of Access to Information Act 2 of 2000 (PAIA). The PAIA may be downloaded from:
- 7.2 RUNNERS WORLD may electronically collect, store and use the following personal information of Users:
- 7.2.1 name and surname;
- 7.2.2 birth date;
- 7.2.3 gender;
- 7.2.4 country of residence;
- 7.2.5 closest city;
- 7.2.6 non-personal browsing habits and click patterns;
- 7.2.7 e-mail address; and
- 7.2.8 IP address.
- 7.3 RUNNERS WORLD collects, stores and uses the abovementioned information for the following purposes:
- 7.3.1 to greet the User when he/she accesses the RUNNERS WORLD web site;
- 7.3.2 subject to the User’s consent, inform the User of facts relating to his/her access and use of the RUNNERS WORLD web site;
- 7.3.3 subject to the User’s consent, inform the User about competitions and special offers from RUNNERS WORLD and/or its partners / affiliates;
- 7.3.4 to provide the User with targeted advertising when he/she accesses the RUNNERS WORLD web site or the web sites of RUNNERS WORLD partners / affiliates; and
- 7.3.5 to compile non-personal statistical information about browsing habits, click-patterns and access to the RUNNERS WORLD web site.
- 7.4 Information detailed above is collected either electronically by using cookies or is provided voluntarily by the User. Users may determine cookie use independently through their browser settings.
- 7.5 The User may elect not to receive any communications from RUNNERS WORLD and/or its partners / affiliates.
- 7.6 RUNNERS WORLD may collect, maintain, save, compile, share, disclose and sell any information collected from users, subject to the following provisions:
- 7.6.1 RUNNERS WORLD shall not disclose personal information from Users unless the User consents thereto;
- 7.6.2 RUNNERS WORLD shall disclose information without the User’s consent only through due legal process; and
- 7.6.3 RUNNERS WORLD may compile, use and share any information that does not relate to any specific individual.
- 7.7 RUNNERS WORLD owns and retains all rights to non-personal statistical information collected and compiled by RUNNERS WORLD.
8. HYPERLINKS TO THIRD PARTY SITES
- RUNNERS WORLD may provide hyperlinks to web sites not controlled by RUNNERS WORLD or Media 24 Ltd (target sites) and such links do not imply any endorsement, agreement on or support for the content of such target sites. RUNNERS WORLD does not editorially control the content on such target sites and shall not be liable, in any manner whatsoever, for the access to, inability to access or content available on or through such target sites.
- 9.1 RUNNERS WORLD shall take all reasonable steps to secure the content of the RUNNERS WORLD web site and the information provided by and collected from Users from unauthorised access and/or disclosure. However, RUNNERS WORLD does not make any warranties or representations that content shall be 100% safe and secure.
- 9.2 RUNNERS WORLD is under no legal duty to encrypt any content or communications from and to the RUNNERS WORLD web site and is also under no legal duty to provide digital authentication of any page on the RUNNERS WORLD web site.
- 9.3 Users may not deliver or attempt to deliver, whether on purpose or negligently, any damaging code, such as computer viruses, to the RUNNERS WORLD web site or the server and computer network that support the RUNNERS WORLD web site. Notwithstanding criminal prosecution, any person who delivers any damaging code to the RUNNERS WORLD web site, whether on purpose or negligently, shall, without any limitation, indemnify and hold RUNNERS WORLD harmless against any and all liability, damages and losses RUNNERS WORLD and its partners / affiliates may suffer as a result of such damaging code.
- 9.4 Any User who commits any of the offences detailed in sections 85 to 88 of the ECT Act shall, notwithstanding criminal prosecution, be liable for all resulting liability, loss or damages suffered and/or incurred by RUNNERS WORLD and its partners / affiliates. The ECT Act may be downloaded from:
10. DISCLAIMER AND LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
- 10.1 Subject to the provisions of sections 43(5) and 43(6) of the ECT Act, if applicable, and as far as allowed by law, RUNNERS WORLD (including its owners, employees, suppliers, network operators, partners, affiliates and agents) shall not be liable for any damage, loss or liability of any nature incurred by whomever and resulting from:
- 10.1.1 access to the RUNNERS WORLD web site;
- 10.1.2 access to web sites linked to the RUNNERS WORLD web site;
- 10.1.3 inability to access the RUNNERS WORLD web site;
- 10.1.4 inability to access web sites linked to the RUNNERS WORLD web site;
- 10.1.5 content available on the RUNNERS WORLD web site;
- 10.1.6 services available from the RUNNERS WORLD web site;
- 10.1.7 any other reason not directly related to RUNNERS WORLD’s gross negligence.
- 10.2 The RUNNERS WORLD web site is supplied on an “as is” basis and has not been compiled to meet the User’s individual requirements. It is the responsibility of the User to satisfy himself or herself, prior to entering into this agreement with RUNNERS WORLD, that the content and services available from and through the RUNNERS WORLD web site meet the User’s individual requirements and is compatible with the User’s computer hardware and/or software.
- 10.3 Information, ideas and opinions expressed on the RUNNERS WORLD web site should not be regarded as professional advice or the official opinion of RUNNERS WORLD and Users are encouraged to consult professional advice before taking any course of action related to the information, ideas or opinions expressed on the RUNNERS WORLD web site.
- 10.4 This web site is directed primarily at Users in the Republic of South Africa and therefor RUNNERS WORLD shall not, as far as allowed by South African law, be liable for defamation, libel, slander, privacy infringement, personality infringement or copyright infringement, in whatsoever format, outside the borders of the Republic of South Africa.
- 10.5 RUNNERS WORLD sources content from various third parties and does not editorially control the content provided by such third parties and RUNNERS WORLD only serves as an electronic distribution platform for such third party content. Therefore RUNNERS WORLD shall not be liable, in any manner whatsoever for defamation, privacy infringement, personality infringement or copyright infringement related to content on the RUNNERS WORLD web site not created by RUNNERS WORLD or its employees.
- 10.6 RUNNERS WORLD does not make any warranties or representation that content and services available from the RUNNERS WORLD web site will in all cases be true, correct or free from any errors. RUNNERS WORLD shall take all reasonable steps to ensure the quality and accuracy of content available from the RUNNERS WORLD web site.
- 10.7 RUNNERS WORLD does not make any warranties or representations that the RUNNERS WORLD web site will be available at all times. Users acknowledge that the RUNNERS WORLD web site may be unavailable due to updates or other causes beyond the reasonable control of RUNNERS WORLD, including, but not limited to virus infection, power failure or other “acts of God”.
11. REMOVAL AND CORRECTION OF CONTENT
- Users are encouraged to report untrue, inaccurate, defamatory, illegal, infringing and/or harmful content available from the RUNNERS WORLD web site to RUNNERS WORLD and RUNNERS WORLD undertakes to correct and/or remove such content or any part thereof if the person reporting such content provided reasonable grounds to prove the alleged nature of the content.
- These Terms and Conditions of Use constitute the entire agreement between RUNNERS WORLD™ and you, the user of this website. Any failure by RUNNERS WORLD™ to exercise or enforce any right or provision of these Terms and Conditions of Use shall in no way constitute a waiver of such right or provision.
- 12.1 Users may post their personal opinions, messages and ideas to the RUNNERS WORLD web site and discussion forums available on the RUNNERS WORLD web site.
- 12.2 Users undertake not to post content to the RUNNERS WORLD web site that may be illegal, defamatory, infringing, harassing, obscene, commercial advertising, personal marketing, profane, untrue, incorrect or harmful and RUNNERS WORLD reserves the right to remove such content in terms of clause 11 above.
- 12.3 RUNNERS WORLD does not editorially control, filter or read User postings and shall not be liable, in any manner whatsoever, for such User postings.
- 12.4 The User indemnifies and holds RUNNERS WORLD harmless against any liability, claim, damage or loss that may result from the User’s posting(s) to the RUNNERS WORLD web site.
13. INTERCEPTION OF COMMUNICATIONS
- 13.1 Subject to the provisions of the Regulation of Interception of Communications (RIC) Act 70 of 2002, the User agrees to RUNNERS WORLD’s right to intercept, block, filter, read, delete, disclose and use all communications send or posted by the User to the RUNNERS WORLD web site or its staff and employees. The RIC Act may be downloaded from:
- 13.2 Subject to the provisions of the ECT Act, the User agrees and acknowledges that the consent provided by the User in clause 13.1 satisfies the “writing” requirement.
14. ENTIRE AGREEMENT AND SEVERABILITY
- 14.1 These terms and conditions constitute the entire agreement between RUNNERS WORLD and the User and shall take precedent over any disclaimers and/or legal notices attached to any communications and/or postings received by RUNNERS WORLD from the User.
- 14.2 Any failure by RUNNERS WORLD to exercise or enforce any right or provision shall in no way constitute a waiver of such right or provision.
- 14.3 In the event that any term or condition detailed herein is found unenforceable or invalid for any reason, such term(s) or condition(s) shall be severable from the remaining terms and conditions. The remaining terms and conditions shall remain enforceable and applicable.
15. AGREEMENT IN TERMS OF SECTION 21 OF THE ECT ACT
- 15.1 the User shall be bound to these term and conditions and such agreement is concluded in Cape Town at the time the User enters the RUNNERS WORLD web site for the first time or immediately after the User indicated consent as required during the “Sign me in” process;
- 15.2 data messages (as defined in the ECT Act) addressed by the User to RUNNERS WORLD shall only be deemed to have been received by RUNNERS WORLD if RUNNERS WORLD responds thereto;
- 15.3 data messages (as defined in the ECT Act) addressed to the User by RUNNERS WORLD shall be deemed to be received by the User as detailed in section 23(b) of the ECT Act;
- 15.4 data messages (as defined in the ECT Act) addressed by the User to RUNNERS WORLD shall be deemed to have been created and send by the User from within the geographical boundaries of South Africa;
- 15.5 electronic signatures, encryption and/or authentication is not required for valid electronic communications between the User and RUNNERS WORLD; and
- 15.6 the User agrees and warrants that data messages that are sent to RUNNERS WORLD from a computer, IP address or mobile device normally used by or owned by the User, was sent and/or authorised by the User personally.
16. APPLICABLE AND GOVERNING LAW
- The RUNNERS WORLD web site is hosted, controlled and operated from the Republic of South Africa and therefore the South African law enforced by the South African courts governs the use or inability to use the RUNNERS WORLD web site, its content, services and these terms and conditions.
17. LEGAL COSTS
- RUNNERS WORLD shall not be liable for costs incurred by Users to obtain professional advice relating to these terms and conditions.
© Media24. These terms and conditions may not be used or reproduced without the prior consent of Media24 Ltd