The streets of Soweto were alive on Sunday, 6 November as 25 000 runners took part in the 23rd Soweto Marathon.
The main 42km race kicked off at 06h00. It was followed half an hour later by the start of the half marathon and at 07h00 by the 10km run.
The marathons men’s first place, for the third consecutive year, was Ethiopian Sintayethu Legese Yinesu (Nedbank Running Club) in an impressive time of 2:20:44. Just one minute and three seconds behind was Lesotho’s Tsepo Mathibelle of Phantane Athletics Club. Also from Lesotho and in third place was Seutloali Khoarahlane (Maxed Elite) in 2:23:22.
The ladies marathon winning title went to Ethiopian Selam Abere Alebachew of the Nedbank Running Club in a time of 2:42:32. Shortly behind her was Letho’s Chelitu Bogale Asefa, also of Nedbank Running Club in 2:45:22. Rounding off the podium and a 1,2,3 for Nedbank Running Club was Irvette Van Zyl 2:46:32.
1. Sintayethu Legese Yinesu (Nedbank Running Club): 2:20:44.
2. Tsepo Mathibelle (Phantane Athletics Club): 2:21:46.
3. Seutloali Khoarahlane (Maxed Elite) in 2:23:22.
1. Selam Abere Alebachew (Nedbank Running Club): 2:42:32
2. Chelitu Bogale Asefa (Nedbank Running Club): 2:45:22
3. Irvette Van Zyl (Nedbank Running Club): 2:46:32
1. David Manja (Nedbank Running Club): 1:07:01.
2. Joel Mohau (Nedbank Running Club): 1:07:56.
3. Hatasi Mthimkhulu (Sibanye Gold Athletic Club): 1:08:04.
1. Onneile Dintwe (Nedbank Running Club): 1:19:41
2. Dinah-Rose Phalula (Boxer Athletics Club): 1:20:17
3. Christine Kalmer (KPMG Running Club): 1:23:00
1. Namakoe Lucky Nkasi (Cool Running): 30:17
2. Desmond Mokgobu (Boxer AC): 30:28
3. Thabang Mosiako (Nedbank Running Club): 30:31
1. Chery-Lee Schoeman (KPMG Running Club): 38:45
2. Lyndi Roelofse (EC Active): 38:59
3. Keneilwe Sesing (KPMG Running Club): 39:46