This hummus-like spread is ideal for breakfast, lunch or a snack. Top it with an egg, tuna, goat’s cheese or avocado and tomato.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 clove garlic, smashed
1 red onion, diced small
1 carrot, diced small
1 celery stalk, diced small
1 teaspoon red chilli flakes
½ cup white wine
420g chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 bunch spinach
½ bunch parsley, roughly chopped
Loaf of wholewheat bread
Extra-virgin olive oil (for drizzling)
- Heat the oil in a large pan.
- Add the garlic, onion, carrot, celery, and chilli flakes.
- Cook until softened and translucent – about three to four minutes.
- Pour in the white wine and reduce completely.
- Add chickpeas and spinach, plus 1/4 cup of water.
- Stew for about 20 minutes, adding more water if needed.
- In the last few minutes, finish with parsley.
- Roughly mash with a potato masher.
- Cut the bread into 10 slices, drizzle with olive oil, and grill until nicely charred.
- Spread the chickpea mix on the bread.
- Finish with any of the following toppings: a fried or poached egg; oil-packed tuna, goat’s cheese, or avocado and tomato.
Makes 10 servings.
Kilojoules per serving: 850kJ
Follow these tips to planning food on the go.