By Kevin Flanagan
Dear Two Oceans Marathon Committee
I am sure you are well aware by now, there is quite a large group of trail runners out there that are not particularly happy with your entry fees to the 2012 Two Oceans Trail race.
R450 for the 22 km run / R350 for the 10km (excluding timing chip +R100)
Let’s do the maths:
R450 / 22km = R20.45 per km
R350 / 10km – R 35 per km (talk about killing off the growth of a sport)
A military tank gets better consumption than that! Can we assume that you have laid down a silk carpet on the trail, possibly built a zip line from the top of Devils peak to the start/fishing area? Just be careful, Jeb Corliss the world’s leading base jumper flew a bit too close to table mountain the other day and broke a leg. So make sure you have at least 10 meters of clearance over all obstacles. Otherwsie, it should be amazing!
Will there be a baby PUMA cub in the race bags? That would be great, but please be sure to punch some holes in the box, the last thing we would want is to take advantage of the poor little chap…not so?
It might be worthwhile getting a few financial institutions (Old Mutual) to drop some leaflets into the bags. After all, if Two Oceans one of the country’s leading marathon organizing bodies are going to set the tone for 2012 race prices, I am going to need some financial assistance.
There has not been much feedback to justify the costs, but this is what I have seen to date:
- It’s due to a combination of limited entry fields – limited people, limited infrastructure?
- Green fee payments to ensure that we can use the Trails – fair enough
- New Technical USP moisture management PUMA shirt (included as opposed to having to buy it for R 399 – if I want to purchase a t-shirt, I’ll grab one at the expo, but I currently have an oversupply of race shirts which get donated to street kids on a monthly basis.
- Includes high quality medal to all finishers – is it made out of real gold?
- Includes generous category prize money – lucky draw Ferrari, or can we win our money back?
- Increased infrastructure costs at the start and finish – will there be a jumping castle, beer tent, rock bands..how about a petting zoo where we can drop off our puma Cubs?
I also think a slogan change is in order
Two Oceans Marathon (trail) – the world’s most beautiful marathon – incorrect
Two Oceans Marathon (trail) – the world’s most expensive trail race.
Two Oceans Marathon (trail) – Once in a lifetime event, you’ll never be able to afford it again.
Two Oceans Marathon – Pay now, suffer later!
Don’t worry guys, your event will sell out. However you are going to get a big group of died hard trail runners out there that are going to boycott. Just remember these are the boys and girls that turn up race after race to support events. Without the runner, the race never happens.
Wishing you financially prosperous 2012!
To read more of Kevin’s articles, visit his blog: http://www.off-the-hook.co.za/